Collegium Vocale Gent Academy is the new youth project of Collegium Vocale Gent. This project was set up to offer young musicians a perspective in this Corona era and help them find their way in the professional world. During a first intense week aimed at instrumentalists, the Academy offers the opportunity to work in an orchestra under the inspiring leadership of Philippe Herreweghe. The musicians are selected via an online audition.
In this Beethoven year, we take the famous Fifth Symphony as the starting point for an exciting four-day rehearsal process. If the situation allows it, we will conclude with a few concerts. The orchestra will be accompanied, supported and coached by professional musicians with years of experience in leading orchestras such as Collegium Vocale Gent, Concentus Musicus Wien, Orchestre des Champs Elysées or the Orchestre Révolutionaire et Romantique.
Collegium Vocale Gent Academy
- Rehearsals: 2020, September 6th until 9th (2 sessions/day).
- Concerts: 2020, September, 10th & 11th.
- Place: Karmelietenkerk, Burgstraat, Ghent, Belgium.
- Leader: Baptiste Lopez (leader Kammerorchester Basel, Edding Quartet).
- Leader violas: Pablo de Pedro (Concentus Musicus Wien, Edding Quartet, Royal College of Music).
- Leader cellos: Ageet Zweistra (Collegium Vocale Gent, Orchestre des Champs-Elysées, Edding Quartet).
- Coach winds: Nicola Boud (Orchestre des Champs-Elysées, Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique).
Who can apply?
Musicians who can apply
- are studying for a Master’s degree (not necessarily specialized in historic instruments);
- are holders of a Master’s degree (not necessarily specialized in historic instruments);
- have to be available from September 6th until 11th 2020;
- are born after January 1st, 1985;
Applicants can apply with following instruments (pitch A=430 Hz):
- violin, viola, cello, double bass (gut strings, classical bow, only tutti);
- flute, piccolo*, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, contrabassoon* (classical winds);
- horn, trumpet, trombone alto/tenor*, bass trombone* (classical winds);
- timpani (the Academy can provide timpani for the rehearsals and concerts in September);
*instruments only required for part of the rehearsal period, to be determined.
- Deadline for application: July 15th, 2020.
- All candidates will be informed of the results of the audition on 2020, July 31st. Candidates who did not pass the audition will also be informed. The Academy will not provide any feedback on the auditions.
- Selected candidates will be contacted at the beginning of August 2020 for the practical organization of the Academy.
- The Academy does not cover travel costs from/to home. The Academy will organize travel from Ghent to the concert locations.
- The Academy does not cover accommodation costs but provides practical support for the booking of the accommodation.
- The Academy will provide lunch during the rehearsals and a meal before or after the concert.
- The working language will be English.
- Video (see below);
- Curriculum Vitae (maximum 2 pages);
- Reference person (name & contact details of a person who can recommend you).
To send the Curriculum Vitae (PDF), send a Wetransfer to yourself and copy/paste the link into the provided field of the application form. Make the link on the day you fill in the application form in order for the link to be active a few more days after your application.
Each applicant has to make 1 video of maximum 12 minutes containing following elements:
- Introduction: first & last name;
- Excerpt: play one of the required orchestral excerpts (see below);
- Study: play 1 study of your choice;
- Concerto/Sonata: play 1 movement of a solo concerto or a solo sonata of your choice. It is not mandatory (but possible) to be accompanied.
The musical fragments should be recorded in one shot. This means your video can be an edit of three shorter video’s (1/fragment). The musical fragments have to be played on the instrument used during the Academy. The strings play on gut strings and classical bows. The pitch should be A=430 Hz. Upload your video on Youtube (choose for the option ‘hidden’) and copy/past the Youtube-link into the provided field of the application form. Thanks to share only 1 link containing all required elements (not 3 separate links). Thanks to put your name and instrument in the title of the video.
How to apply?
Fill in the application form you can find here before 2020, July 15th. As stated above, you need two links:
- 1 link to a hidden Youtube video;
- 1 Wetransfer link with your CV (PDF).
Once they have applied, candidates will receive a confirmation email within a few days.
For your video, choose one of the excerpts from the list available here. The Academy does not provide the scores of the excerpts.
Jan Van den Borre
+32 477 69 67 66